With all the hardships, bitterness, wars, strife, chaos and difficulties in the world, living could be sometimes challenging, and altogether difficult. The pressure that life often subjects us to, may seem overwhelming for some people, that getting along on a day to day basis, becomes more like a very tedious task. And at the very extreme, some others may just cave in to all of life’s pressures, that life itself just becomes senseless to live in. At this stage, you find people struggling with the reality of living and coping with all of life’s issues. If you or someone you know is experiencing anything close or similar to what I just described, this article may just have come at the right time for you.
It’s a given that life is complicated, and that navigating through it may add an added layer of complexity to it. But there has to be a way to live through the stress, difficulty and heart aches. There has to be some sort of sense in trying to live through it all, if not why are we even here in the first place? Are you trying to make sense of your life in this world that often seems senseless? Are you hoping to appreciate and enjoy the time you spend on planet earth? Here, I show you 5 ways to begin to make sense of this world, and also enjoy your time, while working at it.
- Recognize first and foremost that it is your life, and not someone else’s. The first step in beginning to make sense of your life is to understand that your life is yours to live, and not for someone else. Many times, we run into problems in life when we try to live our lives as if it were for other people. Your success or failure, should be entirely your business, and not that of someone else, and the effort or lack of effort you put into making it what you want it to be, should be under your control. Remember that we all have only one life to live, therefore, make it count and worthwhile, while you still can.
- Prioritize your values. The world is full of so many things we wish didn’t exist, but then we have no choice rather than to find ways to co-exist with all these other bad stuffs. Therefore, in the midst of all that is happening today, you have to be able to prioritize what matters most to you, and pay attention only to those things. Do you care about love for your fellow man, equality, fairness, equity, peaceful co-existence, etc. What is it that matters the most to you? You need to do your own self-evaluation, and focus more on those things you care the most about.
- Come up with concrete workable goals for yourself. There is this saying that, “he who fails to plan, plans to fail.” In the midst of all the noise and confusion around, you should be able to decide and come up with your own goals for your life. What are your aspirations? What are your dreams? And what do you need to do to get you from point A to point B? Remember that your goals should be tailored to fit your own particular situation, because what might work for someone else, may not work for you. While setting up your goals, make sure they are realistic, achievable, time-bound and can render themselves to being evaluated, to give room for changes or updates when necessary. Once you have your goals all outlined and spelled out, begin to take the steps necessary (no matter how tiny they are) to get you to where you desire.
- Focus on the things you have control over. There are some things in life that we have absolutely no control over. For example, none of us have control over the parents that gave birth to us, or our ancestry or genealogy, so why bother about them? Rather than wasting time on things you have no control over, why not focus on the things you can control, like your educational status, career choice, whom to marry, where to live, number of children to have, etc.
- Consciously make the effort to live a positive life with an attitude of joy. I must tell you that whether you like to accept it or not, there will be those times when life will feel like a complete waste of time, or a total bore altogether. There are things that would happen that you may never stop asking all the “why” questions. People whom you thought loved you and cared so much about you would stab you multiple times in the back, that you may think you want to lose your mind. People would spit in your face, insult you and malign you. But when all these happen, what should you do? It is important for you to realize that these things do happen, and may happen to you. But then, do not loose your cool when you fall victim to them. Do not buckle under life’s pressures, and wish that you would just go away. Rather, develop and maintain the attitude of positivity all the time, so that when those things happen, you just shrug off your shoulders and say, “it’s one of those things.” Develop a conscious attitude of profuse joy and happiness, in the midst of all of life’s trials and difficulties. Only when you are able to get to that place, do you begin to make sense of all the senselessness in the world.
In wrapping this up, you can still make sense of your life, in spite of all the senselessness taking place in the world today. With the right attitude, mind-set and tools in hand, you will find yourself navigating through life more confidently, and with a Victor’s mentality!
To your continued success. Cheers!!!